I'm On My Way, Driving 90 Down These Country Lanes

A REFLECTION ON SEASON 6 OF GAME OF THRONES

Homecomings are bittersweet. While they bring us to a place of relative safety and security, they remind us of what we have lost and what we can never attain once again. Time is a commodity that, while gaining value over time, cannot be reimbursed once it is passed.

Sometimes we can only go home for the weekend because we are not the person we once were. Our family just doesn't get it; we cannot be who we once were or we cannot be who they want us to be. And so, you must leave to set out on the next chapter. Other times, going home isn't a homecoming at all, empty of any sentiment, cold as dragonglass or Valyrian steel.

Either way, home becomes a larger concept: home is where you love. In other words, that which you love the most becomes the place where home is. Recently, I was speaking with a Brazilian preacher from Rio de Janeiro who went back to Rio on a trip. He grew up there and had been living in the United States for a few years. When he returned, I asked him, "Which feels more like home? Rio or here?" He immediately said, "Here, of course. This is where my wife, my children, my family, and those I love are. Home is here now."

Once home becomes that larger concept, then leaving home in order to save it becomes a viable option worth fighting and dying for. And then the real battles and wars can be won.

Image result for game of thrones season 6

~Michael DeNobile


Comments

  1. @namnguyen, This is Michael. I am just seeing this now. Thank you so much. Life got in the way the last two years, but I will be starting up again with reviews. Google is getting rid of the email service, so let me know if you would like to subscribe to get future posts. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Banality of Evil: A Reflection on the Film Hannah Arendt (2012) and the Book Eichmann in Jerusalem (1963)

Finding Completeness When We Are Incomplete