A Beautiful Day to be Alive



Originally published in May 2016.

A REFLECTION OF THE MOVIE LISTEN TO YOUR HEART (2010)

Music is one of the most powerful forces on earth, aside from love. I remember in an old encyclopedia I had when I was a kid, the entry for music was so awesome because the words were printed in the shape of a heart, each line curling upon itself, describing the emotions circulating within the words and instruments of different compositions of melody and lyrics.

Music is a strange things; it's physical as sound and yet it's more than that. It's ethereal; it's spiritual, and I don't necessarily mean in a religious sense. It existentially connects the human spirit in its craft, shifting our moods, defining our identities, healing us in times of great crisis, and uplifting us in moments of triumph, glory and joy.

New Wave British band Squeeze, infamous for "Tempted (by the Fruit of Another)" and "Pulling Mussels (from a Shell)," sang in "If I Didn't Have You," "Singles remind me of kisses / Albums remind me of plans." How true are these simple lines in the grand mystery of love and romance?

Music teaches us not to regret life, to live it moment by moment, and appreciate all of those around us. Good music is as invasive as cancer------it can also knock us in the teeth like cancer, and remind us, nay gut us, inside out in memory and memoriam.

Everyday is a beautiful day to be alive.

"And it's a great day to be alive. / I know the sun's still shinin' / When I close my eyes"

May we never lose our appreciation and wonder for this crazy little thing called life that we never asked to be a part of.

And...

"If you're on your own in this life / The days and nights are long / When you think you've had too much of this to hang on

"Well, everybody hurts sometimes / Everybody cries / And everybody hurts sometimes"

May music carry us through the darkness as we search for the coming dawn.

Related image

~Michael DeNobile

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm On My Way, Driving 90 Down These Country Lanes

The Banality of Evil: A Reflection on the Film Hannah Arendt (2012) and the Book Eichmann in Jerusalem (1963)